This job doesn’t come open very often. Is it your dream job?
Acres U.S.A., founded in 1971, is North America’s largest, oldest publication serving commercial-scale sustainable/organic farmers and ranchers. If you’re up to speed on innovations taking place in modern ecological agriculture, aware of the shortfalls of industrial- and chemical-based systems, and interested in sharing the story of how innovative farmers are finding prosperity while growing healthy food, you could be our next managing editor. We’re seeking a decisive, energetic, organized leader for this monthly magazine, now in its 47th year. The magazine sits at the center of our company, which also produces books, events and digital education tools for farmers all over the world.
Responsibilities are broad and varied, but include:
- With the publisher, executing the long-term content plan;
- Coordinating work of freelance writers and editors;
- Copyediting/proofing/fact-checking all content;
- Writing some original feature stories and columns;
- Compiling and rewriting nonbylined aggregate magazine pieces;
- Monitoring online content sources and other publications for news and story leads;
- Working alongside Digital Marketing Manager on content for eNewsletters and EcoFarmingDaily.com;
- Crafting press releases about new magazine issues;
- Proofreading promotions, catalogs, marketing materials, etc.;
- Handling a variety of publication business details (freelancer paysheets, filing source material, limited assistance to readers, furthering relationships within industry, encouragement and development of freelance writers, etc.).
- Bachelor’s in journalism (preferred), English, communication, or related field. Other degreed candidates considered with appropriate work experience.
- Minimum two years experience with a print publication. Web experience a plus.
- Knowledge of agriculture both from practical and policy points of view.
- Foundation knowledge in the sciences (life sciences, chemistry).
- Awareness of fundamental issues surrounding the environment, food policy, organic agriculture and natural living.
- Excellent organizational skills and decision making ability.
- Strong news judgment and knowledge of agriculture, particularly ecological-based agriculture.
- Attention to details, accuracy, and excellent editing and proofreading skills.
- Capable of interviewing, researching and writing quality articles.
- Competence in learning software and working within Adobe and WordPress software environments.
- Ability to manage multiple projects under recurring deadlines, as well as balancing pressing deadlines with future needs.
- Must work and be compatible with larger team.
- Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Paid holidays, vacation, and personal days.
- Opportunity for travel.
Swift Communications is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.